A youth died on Friday after he was electrocuted while attempting to pluck areca nuts using a pole.
The deceased has been identified as Shafi (28) of Boliyaru village.
According to sources, Shafi was engaged in areca nut trading for several years, frequently leasing trees and harvesting the nuts.
The fiber pole he was using to pluck the nuts came into contact with a low-tension wire. He was reportedly electrocuted via a metal sickle tied to the far end of the pole.
Chikkamagaluru: Couple killed, their 14-month-old child seriously injured in serial accident
Mathura Train Accident: Probe finds mildly-drunk staff handled train, was watching mobile; 5 suspended
A case has been registered at the Bantwal Rural police station.