The government on Tuesday extended the deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar by three months to June 30, 2023, to provide some more time to taxpayers, an official statement said.
The earlier deadline was ending on March 31.
Persons can intimate their Aadhaar to the prescribed authority for Aadhaar-PAN linking without facing repercussions, it added. Under the provisions of the Income-tax Act, 1961, every person who has been allotted a PAN as on July 1, 2017, and is eligible to obtain Aadhaar Number, is required to intimate his Aadhaar to the prescribed authority on or before March 31, 2023, on payment of a prescribed fee. ”Failure to do so shall attract certain repercussions under the Income Tax Act w.e.f. April 1, 2023. The date for intimating Aadhaar to the prescribed authority for the purpose of linking PAN and Aadhaar has now been extended to June 30, 2023,” it said.
From July 1, 2023, the PAN of taxpayers who have failed to intimate their Aadhaar, as required, shall become inoperative.
Odisha train crash: Driver error ruled out, possible sabotage being probed; minister says people behind 'criminal' act identified
It is stated that more than 51 crore PANs have already been linked with Aadhaar till date.
Here is a step-by-step guide to check your PAN-Aadhaar linking status:
- Go to the Income Tax e-filing portal homepage.
- Look for the ‘Quick Links’ option on the homepage.
- Click on ‘Aadhaar Status’ from the Quick Links menu.
- You will be directed to a page where you need to enter your PAN and Aadhaar numbers.
- After entering your details, click on the ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’ button.
- The system will check the linking status and display a message on the screen.
- If your PAN and Aadhaar are linked, the message will say, “Your PAN is linked to Aadhaar.”
- If your PAN and Aadhaar are not linked, the message will say, “PAN not linked with Aadhaar. Please click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ to link your Aadhaar with PAN.”
- If the linking process is in progress, the message will say, “Your Aadhaar-PAN linking request has been sent to UIDAI for validation. Please check the status later by clicking on the ‘Link Aadhaar Status’ link on Home Page.”