Padubidri: A major catastrophe was averted as a fire was noticed on a lorry carrying gas cylinders at the Hejamady Toll Plaza in the nick of time on Thursday evening and put out immediately.
A lorry carrying HP’s LPG gas-filled cylinders from Mangaluru to Udupi. On route, the driver stopped the vehicle for getting refreshments at the Hejamady toll gate. During the absence of the driver, a blaze erupted near the back of the seat.
Fortunately, the fire was noticed immediately by the toll plaza staff. They poured water using buckets and tried to souse the flame.
Udupi fire brigade was also called to the scene. Padubidri Police SI Purushottam also rushed to the spot.
Rs 18L gold theft from Mumbai-M'luru bus: Cops track vehicle through FASTag, nab accused at toll gate in Maha
The source of the blaze was identified as an electrical short circuit. “Attempts were made to fix it but were unsuccessful. The lorry will be moved tomorrow (Friday) after the technicians from HP arrive and repair the wiring,” Padubidri SI Purushottam said.