Kasaragod: One dead, several seriously ill after eating Shawarma

11:05 AM May 02, 2022 | Team Udayavani |

Kasaragod: A teenager was reportedly killed and several others fell ill in a suspected food poisoning case on Sunday, May 1 in Chervathur here.


People, who had allegedly consumed shawarma from a popular eatery called Ideal Food Point Cool Bar in Chervathur on April 30, fell ill. As many as 14 persons complained of vomiting, stomach ache, diarrhea, and fever, media reports said.

In the incident, a 16-year-old student, Devananda from Perala of Kaverivelluru, lost her life. Five others are said to be serious.

Following the incident, the eatery has been shut down by the officials. Food samples have been sent to a Lab in Kochi for examination. The food joint does not possess a valid Food safety licence, media reports said.

Reports said that the autopsy of the deceased student will be conducted at the Kannur Government Medical College Hospital on May 2.


As per the latest reports, 2 persons, including the partner of the eatery, have been arrested. Reports also said that following the death of the student an Omni belonging to the eatery was torched and an angry mob pelted stones at the eatery.


Udayavani is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest news.