Madikeri: In a tragic incident a 24-year-old woman tourist died following a gas leak from the geyser at an unregistered homestay here.
The deceased isVigneshwari, a native of Bellari. She was working in a private company in Mumbai.
Vigneshwari along with four after visiting Talacauvery on October 24 went to their homestay at Dairy Farm area in Madikeri.
At around 8.30 pm, Vigneshwari went for a shower in the homestay bathroom. Growing suspicious as she did not come out for a long time her friends broke open the bathroom door only to find her lying unconscious.
She was immediately shifted to a hospital, but died on the way. Sources confirmed that a gas leak from the geyser had suffocated Vigneshwari inside the bathroom, which also did not have proper ventilation.
The owner of the homestay is residing in Dubai and it has not been registered with the tourism department.
Folllowing the incident Homestay Association president BG Ananthashyana released a press statement against the functioning of illegal homestays in the district.