A student from Vivekananda Degree College in Puttur has been praised for her courageous actions in providing first aid to her mother who was bitten by a cobra.
Shramya Rai went to the aid of her mother who had been bitten by a cobra and reportedly sucked out the venom with her mouth.
The incident occurred in Keyyur about 5 days ago, where Mamata Rai, Shramya’s mother, was bitten by a snake while switching on a pump on a nearby farm. Shramya acted quickly, removing the venom from the bite site by sucking it out with her mouth before taking her mother to the hospital.
Shramya said that doctors had told her that her actions had prevented further harm to her mother. Shramya attributed her knowledge of snakebite first aid to what she had learned from movies.
Sucking venom using your mouth can be dangerous. In case of a snake or insect bite, seek a doctor’s help immediately.