As the world battles Covid-19, panic has gripped Kozhikode in North Kerala over a new disease. The intestinal infection known as shigellosis is caused by the bacteria Shigella.
An 11-year-old boy has died of the infection and the health department said only six people were confirmed to have been infected so far and 26 others are suspected cases of the infection. Those identified with symptoms were told to remain vigilant and are advised to get hospitalised if their condition worsens.
According to TN, Shigella bacterium is spread through contaminated water and food or through contact and the primary symptom of shigellosis is diarrhoea. Shigella bacteria is found in the stool (feces) of infected people and is spread from one person to another person through various means in food or water contaminated by an infected person, and on surfaces that have been touched by infected people
Symptoms include diarrhoea, fever, stomach cramps which can last for seven days. Treatment is generally done through antibiotics, which can shorten the duration of the illness. Even though people of all ages can get infected, children are more susceptible to the infection