Virudhunagar: The nearly month-long strike by fireworks manufacturers of Sivakasi, demanding exemption of fireworks from the ambit of the Environment Protection Act, was called off today.
The decision came after talks between Tamil Nadu minister K T Rajenthra Balaji and office-bearers of the fireworks manufacturers associations till late last night, sources said.
Sivakasi is the country’s fireworks manufacturing hub.
The manufacturers had been on an indefinite stir from December 26.
Over 1,000 children molested in their own homes last year, says Kerala child rights panel report
Minister Khandre seeks funds release from Center, says 11 people died in past 15 days in Karnataka due to human-animal conflict
Services Act a licence for officers to rebel against elected govt orders: Arvind Kejriwal
Three bills to replace IPC, CrPC, Evidence Act will eliminate 70 pc negative energy, says Amit Shah
Modi govt 'killing' RTI Act as part of conspiracy to end democracy, alleges Congress chief Kharge
Sources said the minister assured the protesters that the AIADMK-led state government would put pressure on the Centre regarding the manufacturers’ demand.
The associations have also been seeking expeditious hearing by the Supreme Court of a petition seeking a series of steps to curb air pollution, including a ban on sale, possession and bursting of firecrackers across the country.
Owners of fireworks manufacturing units announced that they were withdrawing the strike and would resume work from January 22.