Ullal: In a tragic incident, a man died after setting himself on fire at the house of his wife’s relatives on the evening of Sunday, March 19. The incident occurred at Konaje’s Muchilakodi.
The deceased has been identified as Harish (33), son of Babu Shettigar of Vitla Kanyana.
According to sources, Harish had been working as a gardener at Infosys in Mudipu for 10 years. He had recently married a young woman from Siddakatte Sangabettu and she is currently seven months pregnant.
It is said that, on March 12, Harish called his relative, Ramesh Shettigar who resides at Muchilakodi, and expressed his concern about finding ‘bhasma’ and ‘tagadu’ in his bag, claiming that he had been the victim of sorcery. harish had been called to Ramesh’s house on March 19 to discuss the matter.
However, it is said that Harish was carrying a can of petrol when he arrived.
Upon his arrival, Harish poured petrol and set himself on fire in the yard. The family panicked and immediately contacted the Konaje police. The police arrived on the scene and Harish was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance. Unfortunately, he passed away while in the ambulance.
Harish had suffered severe burns and was in a half-burnt condition when he boarded the ambulance by himself.
It is said Harish used to accuse his wife of not speaking properly and not listening. Ramesh was Harish’s cousin, while Ramesh’s wife was the daughter of Harish’s wife’s aunt. Harish was not in any kind of financial difficulty.
A case of suicide has been registered at the Konaje police station.
Suicide is preventable. If you get any such thoughts, consult or seek expert help.
Karnataka Arogya Sahayavani – 104
Susheg Charitable Trust – 7338201234