Udupi: A gas cylinder exploded at a residence in Mooda Bettu in Adi Udupi here on Monday night causing a loss worth Rs 2.5 lakh.
The explosion took place when Gopal Kotian lit the diya while offering prayers to the deity at his residence.
The explosion shattered the window panes of the house and the furniture was completely burnt. Gopal and his wife Savitri managed to escape from the house but they suffered burn injuries to their legs. Luckily other family members were not at home at the time of the mishap.
Fire personnel was informed of the incident but as the house was not easily accessible to them owing to its location, nearby residents doused the fire by pumping water from their well.
Malpe police visited the spot.